Thursday 22 April 2010

Tom Hunter - A guest lecture NTU








I went to a photography guest lecture on Wednesday as I think it's nice sometimes to indulge in something you have taken an interest, but not fully explored and the fact that everything I see and do seems to revolve around fashion. It was refreshing to hear first hand the experiences of a creative and how his life shaped his work and vice versa!
Tom Hunter started taking photos when he was living in a Hackney squat in 80's London. He portrays the side of the squatting community that people rarely think of, the families and couples who just consieder this their way of life whether they chose it or not. However I couldn't help but feel he has lost the passion for photography that he used to have and has almost 'sold out' by exhibiting in galleries that I feel stand for all of the things he used to detest.
One thing I noticed was his real Soft Spot for Hackney, where he still lives now.

_Anna_

No comments:

Post a Comment